In kind of tandem to my previous post regarding the monogram, i am hoping that perhaps i would receive some help in identifying the docks in this Salt Print photograph i believe to be from the late 1840's. 

Once again i have researched this image as best i can and can find nothing concrete to ascertain the location of this photograph, or its author. 

I would be very grateful to anyone in here that could shed some light on this.

Thank you all once more!

Salt Print 2.jpg

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Jamie,

Yes, please do tweet the image. I have been in touch with Underfall Yard and they also don't think it is of that aspect. They are very interested to find out the location also. It really does look like where you said, but a couple of things don't tally. One of them being that the Chimney or 'Stack' that they said was built in the 1890's (i believe without going to the email). I really thought you had it to be fair...! the search does continue though, so yes, if you would put it out i would be very grateful. Thank you for following up and for your interest...

All the best,

Simon. 

• Am now doubtful that this view is Bristol. Shall I tweet the image and see if anyone recognises the location?

• Hello James,

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, i do believe your suggestion is a very strong possibility. Excellent! I did have an idea for Bristol but couldn't seem to get the angle to make it work and so had pretty much discounted the idea. This works very well, particularly with the chimney in the background, (Alas with my very brief search seems the only remaining structure that is in my photograph). I will search a little deeper and let you know the results. Thank you once more!

• The view might be of the 'Floating Harbour', Bristol City docks - around Underfall Yard - looking towards the city?

This reply was deleted.