Hello,

I'm currently researching for a project and would love to draw from the hive mind of this community to see if anyone might have some insights on how I might get in touch with two photographers active in London in the 1960s, Tom Picton and Nigel Hartnup. For the same project, I'm researching London Look (also titled Look of London, published by Trixways) magazine's photography - does anyone know whether archives might exist for this magazine? I'm fairly new to London so any advice would be so gratefully received!

Many thanks,
Tamsin

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 10902421862?profile=RESIZE_710x

• This may help re my list about Tom Picton https://blogs.bl.uk/socialscience/2021/10/introducing_7_days.html
  • I also knew Tom Picton when we both freelanced for Norman Hall on The Times in late 60s. Tom did a lot of work for the short lived “7 Days” edited by the sadly late Alex Cockburn, son of Claud, who had an illustrious journalistic career in the US later. I think Tom was their picture editor because he and Alex used some of my Enoch Powell stuff and I think Tom contacted me. He got me to do a talk at the RCA where he was a refreshing change to old Hedgecoe. You got lunch on silver platters in the staff dining room then at RCA as I recall in
  • I knew Tom Picton briefly in the mid 1970s when he wrote for Camerawork magazine (issues 1 -10 1976-1978). He was a lecturer at the Royal College of Art at that time though I believe he left in about 1981.
  • Dick Wendling notes: There is a photo of Tom Picton in the NPG by Mark Haworth-Booth. The entry says Tom Picton was born in 1932 and died in 2000.

• Thanks so much Michael! That's wonderfully helpful. I've sent a message. Fingers crossed I can get in touch with Nigel Hartnup.

• Nigel was certainly active in 2017 and you might be able to make contact via this piece: https://sgtpepperphotos.wordpress.com/2017/07/12/the-man-who-really...

This reply was deleted.