British photographic history

Information and discussion on all aspects of British photographic history

I am looking for information on any British photography exhibitions, between the early 1940s and the late 1960s.
I would be grateful for any leads.

Views: 878

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kelvin,

I too would be interested to see Dr. Jouhar's paper on Pictorialism - and any other writings he may have contributed. Is there much else available?
I should say to both of you that you are welcome to share in whatever my own researches turn up in this area. Perhaps we should exchange more reliable email/contact details than the BPH noticeboard?
Hi Damian - before taking the Dr Jouhar/Wadenoyen debate further it may be beneficial to ascertain what exactly were their opposing views. Both men seemed to trying to push forward the acceptance of photography as an art form and to escape from the chains of conventialism. But they seemed to be at odds with one another. It may have been a difference of style, taste, background, education or simply a personal thing?.

Damian Hughes said:
Hi Kelvin,

Yours and Matthew's responses both suggest interesting perspectives on the period. At the risk of re-creating the opposing camps of this post-war debate it would be splendid to take this discussion further. I may well fire some further questions your way in due course. I hope that's ok.
OK - I have just scanned the July 1946 speech and it can be accessed as a .pdf file at www.jouhar.com/SDJ/Pictorialism_Jul46.pdf

I hope you can read it OK - it is on typewritten sheets 64 years old !!

The dust-up with Mr Wadenoyen starts around Page 11

Please feel free to make contact with me at Kelvin.Jouhar@Lloydsbanking.com if you would like to discuss anything away from this forum.

Regards
Kelvin
Thanks Kelvin. This is generous of you.
The scan seems to be at a pretty low resolution. It is reasonably legible in Acrobat but not machine readable. If you would like to email me a higher reslution file, I can convert it and send it back to you as a searchable pdf.

Damian Hughes said:
The scan seems to be at a pretty low resolution. It is reasonably legible in Acrobat but not machine readable. If you would like to email me a higher reslution file, I can convert it and send it back to you as a searchable pdf.

I did it at just 300dpi so that I could get it done before bedtime ! I will re-do it over the weekend - what resolution do you think I should use ?

Also, I will see what other relevant material I have..
Regards
Kelvin
300dpi should be fine. Make sure its at 100% as well and it should produce a clear image. Set your pdf options to high resolution/low compression.

Kelvin Jouhar said:

Damian Hughes said:

I did it at just 300dpi so that I could get it done before bedtime ! I will re-do it over the weekend - what resolution do you think I should use ?

Also, I will see what other relevant material I have..
Regards
Kelvin
I have now re-scanned the document - hopefully it will be better this time.

www.jouhar.com/SDJ/Pictorialism_Jul46.pdf

Regards
Kelvin
Thanks Kelvin.
Here is the document converted to searchable pdf. Optical character recognition struggles with old typewriter script but most of the text should be searchable. To see how well the pdf software recognises the text, you can select a few lines and cut and paste it into a word processor. It will render some bits as gibberish because it hasn't been able to decipher the scanned image.

Damian.
Attachments:

Damian Hughes said:
Kelvin,

I too would be interested to see Dr. Jouhar's paper on Pictorialism - and any other writings he may have contributed. Is there much else available?

Thanks for re-scanning the speech Damian.

I have scanned a few other of Dr Jouhar's articles, and the links can be found at the bottom of this page :-

www.sdjouhar.com/section354548.html

Regards
Kelvin
Just caught up with this interesting correspondence on the olace and importance Of Dr Jouhar's work in pictorial photography. The set of colour  surreal self-portraits are particularly revealing and seem to reference works by Madame Yevonde, Man Ray and Angus McBean (the egg image in particualr) Did he ever mention these names? For any list of important photographic exhibitions held in the period 1940-1960 refdrence should certainly be made to Ida Kar's exhibition at the Whitechapel Art Gallery as a key event. Ida Kar's career is being celebrated at the National Portrait Gallery in March 2011
Details of the Ida Kar exhibitions at the NPG referred to by Terence are already on BPH see the evnt posting: http://britishphotohistory.ning.com/xn/detail/2680769:Event:14965

Terence Pepper said:
Just caught up with this interesting correspondence on the olace and importance Of Dr Jouhar's work in pictorial photography. The set of colour  surreal self-portraits are particularly revealing and seem to reference works by Madame Yevonde, Man Ray and Angus McBean (the egg image in particualr) Did he ever mention these names? For any list of important photographic exhibitions held in the period 1940-1960 refdrence should certainly be made to Ida Kar's exhibition at the Whitechapel Art Gallery as a key event. Ida Kar's career is being celebrated at the National Portrait Gallery in March 2011

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Michael Pritchard.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service