Camille Silvy

As some members know, I am curating an exhibition in honour of Camille Silvy (1834-1910). It will be held in 2010 to mark the centenary of Silvy's death. The exhibition will be produced by Jeu de Paume, Paris, and will travel to the National Portrait Gallery, London. I am working with Silvy's descendants. I feel I have access to a very good range of material, from both public and private collections, but if anyone can help locate material I have not seen, I should be most grateful. Many thanks!

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear Meir
    Thankyou very much. Silvy's negatives were bought by his former associate Adolphe Beau when the studio contents were sold in 1868. Beau lived into the gelatin-silver era so could well have printed the Silvy negatives on g-s paper. Very interesting. The signature in the group portrait looks strange, as if whoever inscribed it knew Silvy's signature well (as Beau did, of course).
    With renewed thanks and best wishes, Mark
  • By all means, Mark - Michael P has my direct contact details. Best, Sarah
  • Dear Sarah

Thank you very much - most interesting! I'd love to come and see this and the others you mention. I wonder when might suit. Some time in the week after nerxt, perhaps?

Thanks again and all best, Mark

Sarah McDonald said:
    Some cards are mounted so back isn't visible but others are untrimmed prints - possibly pages from a sample book. They are all rather chopped about, though. I’ve hopefully uploaded a file to illustrate. It would be helpful if you're able to confirm they are by silvy. Best, Sarah
  • Some cards are mounted so back isn't visible but others are untrimmed prints - possibly pages from a sample book. They are all rather chopped about, though. I’ve hopefully uploaded a file to illustrate. It would be helpful if you're able to confirm they are by silvy. Best, Sarah

silvy.pdf

• Dear Sarah

Thank you very much. I'm curious as to why the Silvy credit is not on the back of the cards: do you think it is because they were pirated copies?

Thanks again and all best, Mark

Sarah McDonald said:
    Hello Mark, my institution has maybe a couple of hundred Silvy CDV portraits (often identified from studio props as not not all credited) which you are welcome to view - although you may feel you already have this covered from other sources. Good luck with the show, Best, Sarah
  • Hello Mark, my institution has maybe a couple of hundred Silvy CDV portraits (often identified from studio props as not not all credited) which you are welcome to view - although you may feel you already have this covered from other sources. Good luck with the show, Best, Sarah
  • Dear Steve

I'd love to receive a JPEG - thanks so much! Very good of you.

All the best, Mark

Steve Moriarty Curator of photography at the Snite Museum, University of Notre Dame said:
    Mark: You probably remember that we have a variation of Silvy's hunting still life, trimmed so that the end of the rifle barrel sticks up above the rest of the image. It also shows a slight blurring of the tassels on the bottom of the bag, presumably caused by a breeze. I can send a JPEG if you don't have a copy.

Steve Moriarty
  • Mark - I have emailed my address to you under separate email.
    Michael.
  • Mark: You probably remember that we have a variation of Silvy's hunting still life, trimmed so that the end of the rifle barrel sticks up above the rest of the image. It also shows a slight blurring of the tassels on the bottom of the bag, presumably caused by a breeze. I can send a JPEG if you don't have a copy.

Steve Moriarty
  • Dear Marcel

Thank you very much. It would be good to be in contact with the private collector in Oxford. Thanks again and all best, Mark

Mark Haworth-Booth said:
    Marcel Safier said:
    Hello Mark. I know a private collector in Oxford who had 550 Silvy cartes de visite last time we spoke. I am happy to put you in touch. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Silvy's sitter's books could be published to co-incide with this exhibition? I am interested in Silvy's carte de visite work as a collector and in connection with a history I am preparing of the carte de visite in Australia. Please contact me on msafier at ozemail dot com dot au. Cheers! Marcel
This reply was deleted.