Collodion practices

Hi all,

I wonder whether anyone could help me better understand this image, from the Horner Collection, Settle (Museum of North Craven Life).

The subject is a Yorkshire photographer, Michael Horner, at work in the field probably mid 1860s, with what I take to be collodion equipment, including a 'dark tent' on a tripod and kneeling with a case or tank(?). I think he may be handling a lens board - which is very possibly for a stereo setup - a collodion stereo view at this location survives in the collection.

Can anyone describe in detail the components and use of the apparatus visible here? I think the case is probably for camera equipment, but what would be in the dark tent - developing/fixing tanks?, anything else?. What are the structures on top of the dark tent - a safe viewing device perhaps, with a red glass window? Anything else I'm missing?

Can anyone point me to contemporary descriptions of collodion practice in the field that would help answer these questions?

Many thanks for any observations/suggestions.

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Damien,

If you're still interested in the workings of wet plate collodion. Next weekend is the UK collodion meet up at Guys Cliffe House, Warwick. You are more than welcome to pop along and see people working. Saturday would be best.

Tony

• Just accepted. My studio is in one of the old mills in Ancoats.
  • Thanks Tony. I've sent you a 'friend request' so I can message you. Whereabouts in Manchester are you based?

• Just message/email me to arrange a day to pop over.
  • Hi Tony. That would be great. I’m not far from you. Just half way to Sheffield. I’d love to come and see what you do. It’s always good to inform historical research with real photographic practice!

Thanks for your additional insights on the image I posted. 

All the best.

Damian. 

Tony Richards said:

Hi Damien,
    Where are you based? I'm in Manchester if you fancy popping by the studio, I could show you the wet plate collodion process.

Great image by the way. The tank on top of the portable darkroom would be a water reservoir for washing the developed plate

The safe light window may well have been amber of yellow in the case of wetplate collodion.

And yes there are two lens openings in that lens board, so stereo as suggested.

Best wishes,
    Tony
  • Hi Damien,
    Where are you based? I'm in Manchester if you fancy popping by the studio, I could show you the wet plate collodion process.

Great image by the way. The tank on top of the portable darkroom would be a water reservoir for washing the developed plate

The safe light window may well have been amber of yellow in the case of wetplate collodion.

And yes there are two lens openings in that lens board, so stereo as suggested.

Best wishes,
    Tony
  • Thanks David. That is so interesting. 

• Hello - I found this old advert that may be helpful:

10514858059?profile=RESIZE_710x

• A good manual is "Directions for obtaining both positive and negative pictures upon glass by means of the collodion process, and for printing from the negative glasses on to paper" by T. H. Hennah. This is online at archive.org.

There was not much equipment required, the most important and noticeable was the sensitising bath. A tent would be needed if working away from a studio/dark room. Other than that a pneumatic plate holder was a good idea or a stand to rest the plate on. Inside the tent there was usually a slot for the sensitising bath to drop into, a water tank on the top of the tent and some kind of sink arrangement. Most of the manipulation – coating, developing, fixing was done when holding the plate in the hand or with a pneumatic holder.

There is a summary of the steps involved here: www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/gloss10.html

• Thanks Michael. Helpful and informative - as ever.

Michael Pritchard said:

The early manuals are pretty good with descriptions of how to operate the process. A Manual of the Collodion Process would be a good start. I'm a bit busy at work to scan,  but can probably do so at the weekend or you should find a copy (or similar) online. 

This reply was deleted.