Dry Plate Club, 1872

Hello all, 

I am currently in search of any papers that may relate to the Dry Plate Club that was established in 1872 by Col. Henry Stuart Wortley, with the Archbishop of York as the vice president. I have seen the club mentioned in articles for the Photographic News and the British Journal of Photography (mostly recalling its existence a few decades later), but have not yet found any detailed information about the club, and specifically its membership. Does anyone know where I might locate any minutes or correspondence etc?

With thanks

Sarah

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you, Michael, I will take another look at the BJP to see if there's anything I missed. With best wishes, Sarah. 

Michael Pritchard said:

Hi. I am not aware of any records of the Dry Plate Club, but the BJP notes the inaugural meeting (5 April 1872, p. 155) and there are a number of reports over the next few months of the Club's meetings.  

14 June 1972 - The BJP reports in some detail a meeting the DPC

The BJP's columnist 'A Peripatetic Photographer' asked whether the DPC existed (BJP 1 Jan 1875, p. 1 and the next paragraph - coincidentally? - noted that Stuart Wortley had retired from commercial photography,. In the issue of 12 Mar 1875, p. 132, the BJP noted that the Club no longer existed. 

Hope that helps. Feel free to contact me offline for more information. 

Dr Michael Pritchard.

• Hi. I am not aware of any records of the Dry Plate Club, but the BJP notes the inaugural meeting (5 April 1872, p. 155) and there are a number of reports over the next few months of the Club's meetings.  

14 June 1972 - The BJP reports in some detail a meeting the DPC

The BJP's columnist 'A Peripatetic Photographer' asked whether the DPC existed (BJP 1 Jan 1875, p. 1 and the next paragraph - coincidentally? - noted that Stuart Wortley had retired from commercial photography,. In the issue of 12 Mar 1875, p. 132, the BJP noted that the Club no longer existed. 

Hope that helps. Feel free to contact me offline for more information. 

Dr Michael Pritchard.

This reply was deleted.