Erddig - The 1852 Servants Photograph

Erddig%20Historic%20Photo%20Group%20copy%203.pdf

I am currently researching the historic photographs at Erddig the National Trust property outside Wrexham in North Wales

The attached file is a copy of a Newsletter I have issued to a small Historic Photo Group at Erddig.

Whilst there is reference to the three daguerreotype cased images in the collection at Erddig it is the 1852 image of the Erddig servants taken on the west elevation staircase of the house that I am presently researching.. Specifically my present research is trying to establish who the photographer was of the iconic image.

The copy of the image at the house was made in 1912 by Wrexham photographers Clulow and Tomlinson and house records state ''copied from an original daguerreotype print'' . Unfortunatley the original image has disappeared.There is some discussion on the daguerreotype statement in the Newsletter and you will note that the image is not laterally reversed although it does have the curved head suggesting a cased image.

For reasons stated in the Newsletter the image is not thought likely to be by an itinerant daguerreotypist and most likely was a studio daguerreotypist. I am presently researching Beard licensees and again for the reasons stated in the Newsletter the Beard studio in Liverpool which first opened in 1841. Later joined by James Thomas Foard as Beard and Foard.

It is any detailed information on the Beard studio in Castle Street Liverpool that I would be interested in and also any comment or information on the studio operators moving out of the studio to take what is an unusual external image of a large group. 

Geoff Rimmer

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have now found that the photographer of the Erddig 1852 photograph was a Mr Barret, but can not find any information on him. Can anyone help further.

This reply was deleted.