I am curating an exhibition scheduled for 2018/19 and I'm looking for a second UK venue (after opening here at our university galleries in Aberystwyth) before the exhibition moves onto Germany.

The exhibition is centred on the work of Erich Retzlaff (1899-1993) and others (such as Hans Saebens and Hans Retzlaff) working as 'creative' photographers during the Third Reich. In particular, I have been interested in the photograph as a place where (pseudo)science and art meet. Retzlaff, for example, used physiognomy in his work and these portrayals pointed to something beyond classification, something numinous, whilst employing the supposed objective eye of the camera to produce the racial-physiognomic photograph and underlining the state’s desired visual norms. These were images that were made to be consumed and identified with (and they were widely reproduced). The fact that they are not explicitly ideological (no banners, flags, insignia or uniforms) but were implicitly so, is key to an assessment of their work too. 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good UK exhibition venue that might be interested in these historical ideological photographs? I'll be writing a catalogue to further contextualise the exhibition. The majority of the works are from our own collections and copyright cleared for my use.

I've attached some sample images.

Happy to discuss further!

bauern1.jpg

adj3.jpg

D.jpg

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Chris

I'd be interested in any feedback on my History of Photography article, when you have the time.

Regards

Brian

• Christopher Webster van Tonder said:

Hi Brian - yes, the exhibition will come to our university galleries at Aberystwyth in 2020 before going to Saarbrücken later in 2020. No more venues planned as yet though that is a possibility if I can secure any, You can certainly order a catalogue direct - my e-mail is cpw@aber,ac.uk - just waiting to hear confirmation from the publisher when they are ready. As for your article - thank you, I had not seen it but have just accessed it through Taylor and Francis, looks fascinating and I will be reading it today!

Best wishes,

Chris

Brian Stokoe said:

Is there to be another exhibition venue for this work after Manchester, before it goes to Germany? And can I order a copy of the catalogue directly from you?

Did you see my article In History of Photography journal last year? It was called, 'The Landscape Photobook in Germany: From Neue Sachlichkeit to Nazi Sachlichkeit'

Best wishes

Brian Stokoe

• Hi Brian - yes, the exhibition will come to our university galleries at Aberystwyth in 2020 before going to Saarbrücken later in 2020. No more venues planned as yet though that is a possibility if I can secure any, You can certainly order a catalogue direct - my e-mail is cpw@aber,ac.uk - just waiting to hear confirmation from the publisher when they are ready. As for your article - thank you, I had not seen it but have just accessed it through Taylor and Francis, looks fascinating and I will be reading it today!

Best wishes,

Chris

Brian Stokoe said:

Is there to be another exhibition venue for this work after Manchester, before it goes to Germany? And can I order a copy of the catalogue directly from you?

Did you see my article In History of Photography journal last year? It was called, 'The Landscape Photobook in Germany: From Neue Sachlichkeit to Nazi Sachlichkeit'

Best wishes

Brian Stokoe

• Is there to be another exhibition venue for this work after Manchester, before it goes to Germany? And can I order a copy of the catalogue directly from you?

Best wishes

Brian Stokoe

This reply was deleted.