Lantern slide or 35mm slide transparency?

Hello 

I'm seeking some advice around terminology. I've come across a few 35mm colour slide transparencies sandwiched between two pieces of glass and taped - from the 1950s. Has anybody seen anything like this before, and if so - would you call them lantern slides or just slide transparencies (mounted in glass or encapsulated in glass etc)? 

Best wishes

Nicola

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I also have some slides mounted thus, in my late father’s collection. He worked at Kodak Research labs and will have mounted them himself, perhaps at work for some project. I suspect that he wanted them really flat for projection, and perhaps at the time couldn’t get hold of commercial glass slide mounts at the time. When did GePe and others start selling such things?

• Hi Kelvin - thank you for your reply. I'm glad to hear these aren't anomalies 

Kelvin Jouhar said:

I have a large number of transparencies mounted just like this, inherited from my Grandfather.  I just call them slides.  My Grandfather, S.D.Jouhar, was among the first UK amateurs to use the Kodacolor process – this had been introduced to the American market in 1942 but had not become available in Great Britain until 1958. He would process the film himself, and then cut the roll of developed transparencies into individual pieces and then mount them between glass.

• I have a large number of transparencies mounted just like this, inherited from my Grandfather.  I just call them slides.  My Grandfather, S.D.Jouhar, was among the first UK amateurs to use the Kodacolor process – this had been introduced to the American market in 1942 but had not become available in Great Britain until 1958. He would process the film himself, and then cut the roll of developed transparencies into individual pieces and then mount them between glass.

This reply was deleted.