Linked Ring 1902 Bronze Plaque

Here's a bronze relief, 10 x 24 cm, signed with a copyright symbol and the name EMANUEL (only one "M" in the name.) In case it's not legible, here's the title: THE TENTH EXHIBITION of the PHOTOGRAPHIC SALON promoted by the LINKED RING 1902. A few questions: --Any record of the participants? Any information on who might have received one of these plaques? -- I can't find a medallic artist or sculptor who signed as "Emanuel." Can anyone help with a correct ID? --Did prior awards say the Salon was "Promoted by" the Linked Ring? Seems an odd choice of words... Thanks to all! -- Bill Becker

linkedringbronzeplaque1909salonEmanuel.jpg

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My great great Uncle, Adolph (Dolph) Stoiber was a recipient of a bronze plaque from the 1902 exhibition.  I just recently have received it along with 24 other photo medals that Dolph won throughout Europe.  I know little about Dolph other than he lived in Europe his entire life, unlike his three brothers who lived in the United States.

Attached is a photo of the medal.

IMG_2315.jpg

• Hello,
    I have a keen interest of the photographic history of both the Linked Ring and the London Photographic Salon - and have been providing information/photographs about both the early history of these Photographic associations and their members (Malcolm Arbuthnot etc) ....... to the present London Salon for their reference.

By chance I also have a bronze plaque identical to Bill Becker's - and would be interested to know details of the 1902 London Photographic Salon,.................... and the entrants.

I am also a keen historian of the life of T.E Lawrence - George Bernard Shaw (and his wife, Charlotte) and he later (both having a great interest in photography etc) became great friends.
  • Don't mean to be rude, replying to my own questions... but... here's what I found in The Photographic Times, July 1902:

The Photographic Salon, 1902 (tenth year), will be held at the Dudley Gallery (Egyptian Hall, Piccadilly, London, W., from September 19th to November1st, 1902.
    The aim of the Committee, whose names are given above, is to exhibit only that class of work in pictorial photography in which there is distinct evidence of personal artistic feeling and execution.
    Careful consideration will be given to all pictures entered for exhibition, and a selection of works of pictorial merit made by the Committee. Pictures which have already been publicly exhibited in London will not be accepted. Pictures sent for exhibition to any other exhibition open in London at the same period are liable also to be disqualified.
    No awards are offered, and no charge is made to exhibitors.
    Exhibitors will be entitled to a season ticket.
    Arrangements will be made for the sale of pictures, if desired, and a commission of 15 per cent, will be charged on sales effected.
    In celebration of this, the Tenth Annual Exhibition of the Photographic Salon, each
    exhibitor will be presented with a Commemorative Metal Placquette, designed by Charles Emanuel.
    [emphasis added]
    This seems likely to be Charles H.L. Emanuel, a member of the Linked Ring.
This reply was deleted.