Minna Keene (1861-1943)

Hello,

I am a Masters student in the Film + Photography Preservation and Collections Management (F+PPCM) program at Ryerson University, researching the career of photographer Minna Keene (1861-1943), considered the first woman admitted as a fellow to the RPS, and one of the few women asked to join The Brotherhood of the Linked Ring, as well as a proprietor of a number of photographic studios in Cape Town, South Africa (from 1903-1913) and Montreal, Toronto, and Oakville, Canada (beginning in 1913 until approximately 1943).

I note with interest Mr. Daniel Tammet’s post from August 23, 2020, on Maud Shelley (http://britishphotohistory.ning.com/forum/topics/maud-shelley-1875-1952), Keene also being a female studio photographer with little information written on her – albeit with more details available than on Maud Shelley’s life and career.

I am specifically interested in studying Keene’s studio photography and the impact her location may have had on her visibility in the canon of photographic history, and would greatly appreciate direction to any studies conducted on women studio proprietors working internationally – or even trans-nationally - between the 1880s and late 1930s. I am particularly interested in any unusual sources, ones not so easily found through library, internet, or journal searches.

Thank you in advance and best wishes,

Mina

Photograph: Minna Keene, "Anna" (ca. 1907)

Keene_Anna_ ca 1907.jpg

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

This reply was deleted.