British photographic history

Information and discussion on all aspects of British photographic history

I have five photographs 11 x 8.5cm, each printed on very thin paper and mounted face down on glass; i.e for viewing from the other side of the glass.  (Hope that makes sense!).  i have never seen anything like this and am wondering if anyone knows something about this way of mounting prints.  From one of the subjects - Sunderland Winter Gardens,  whose history I know - I have concluded that that one at least was taken around 1890.

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This was a pretty common practice for both photos and prints around the turn of the century.

Thanks; I now think it was achieved by mounting the photograph face down on a wetted glass surface, as if to achieve a glaze but  leaving the print to dry in this position rather than removing it when glazed.  i tried glazing on glass many years ago.  When successful the degree of gloss was impressive..

These were fairly common in late Victorian times mostly sold as souvenirs. They were sometimes known as Opalines when mounted in a particular type of frame. I believe Frith's Medallions were also produced in this way.

I can't help with how they were mounted, but I recently had to copy (awkward reflections!) such a print for someone. I can probably find out its date should that be of interest?

Yes, thanks; the date would be useful to know.  Thanks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Michael Pritchard.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service