I bought a number of stereo views today , but have no idea who created the views. One is South Australian and I will post separately, all others are British.

One is held by the Getty Museum, and they did not identify the creator.

see http://www.getty.edu/art/collection/objects/92268/unknown-maker-british-the-silver-strand-loch-katrine-british-about-1865/.   I would agree on the date seeing as it is on yellow card stock. I was wondering if it could be by George Washington Wilson? Two of the others are said to be St. Albans Abbey. See attachments etc

St. Albans Abbey b.jpeg

View in the Chauntry Grounds near IPSWICH.jpeg

Houses of Parliament Exterior pf Members Cloak Room.jpeg

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A couple of South Australian images; The first is by Bernard Goode and shows what I believe is the Mount Barker Road and the second is extinct volcano now filled with water, called the Blue Lake at Mount Gambier. Photographer unknown.

2768210190?profile=RESIZE_1024x10242768211409?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Hi Stephen I am looking forward to seeing the South Australian stereo. I am hoping I may be able to help you out in someway with that one? Cheers Bill

• Thanks for your comments Alex. It would seem that the St Alban's Abbey and Houses of Parliament views predate my Brewster style viewers, newly acquired!

• The yellow stereo looks more 1860s (I assume it's a flat mount and square corners.).  But the uncolored one with that style label is typically mid-1850s, as Michael indicates.

• Thanks Michael. I was wondering from the card stock used that in fact,  as you indicate the period might be 1850's. Makes these views some the earliest in my collection . (Acquired in a country antique store in Strathalbyn, South Australia)

I did find this site earlier today, but yet to take a closer look:http://www.hertsmemories.org.uk/content/herts-history/towns-and-vil...

• Hi, Stephen. I have a couple of views of St Albans Abbey one of which matches yours shown here with the reverse, both shown below. Unfortunately, there's no clue regarding photographer. The other stereocard I have seems to be from the same period but shows a different couple in the foreground. I have c-de-v of the Abbey by Frederick Downer of Watford. The images seem to predate the start of the restoration of the Abbey from c1856 

2768210083?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

2768210287?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

This reply was deleted.