British photographic history

Information and discussion on all aspects of British photographic history

Hi all. I am currently researching the supposed prevalence of Tintypists operating in Seaside towns in the UK and on beaches. My initial focus was on Scottish Seaside towns owing to the hunch that the Tintype was more popular there than it was in England. I was wondering if anyone out there knew anything about this or (now i'm really stretching) where I might be able to find any primary material or even writing on the subject?

Thanks,

Gavin.

Views: 1599

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am avid collector of mid nineteenth century positive images, ambrotypes and tintypes, but recently saw this tintype on ebay and bought it as an example of how long this technique continued. The 'modern' dry plate tins never seem to have had the brilliance of their wet collodion ancestors.

"May 1st.1938.

Frank and Nancy

Taken at XCH.Quay"

Christchurch Quay, Dorset.

Sorry, I forgot to give the dimensions of the above.

The mat is 5" by 3 1/4", the tintype is 2 3/8" by 1 11/16".

Seán

Hi There, Sean,

Thanks very much for the image and the measurements. Would you allow me to use it in my research? I would cite you of course. It is an interesting one and like you I too am interested in how long the practice prevailed on UK beaches, particularly Scottish ones. 

I have a similar one from the same time period and of course, you are right. By this time I think the tintype was barely even considered photography anymore; a novelty at best. So the only people practicing it were itinerents with little money or care for the 'art' of photography.

Do keep me posted if you find anymore.

Thanks,

Gavin.

Marcel,

thanks, your website looks very intersesting. I will be sure to use it for my own research.

Gavin.

Marcel Safier said:

Gavin/Simon

You might like to check out my website on gem and carte de visite tintypes: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~msafier/photos/tintypes.html. I have fresh information that is yet to be added. I will be including a fuller account of the medium in Australia in the book on the history of the carte de visite in Australia I am currently researching.

Cheers! Marcel (Brisbane, Australia).

Yes, you'r welcome to use this for your research.

Seán

Hi Gavin,

I was lucky enough to get these at auction recently, really pleased with them...

http://fourtoes.co.uk/iblog/?p=4906

Tony

Gavin,

A book published in the 1950s by Ernest Pendrigh called “The Magic Box” is a autobiography about an Australian who settles in the UK and earns a living taking Ferrotype photographs with an Aptus camera at various locations like Brighton and Southend. In the between wars period these photographers were using a card material rather than the metal based materials. Early Tintype smudgers carried a magnet on a chain so that they could get the photo out of the camera, this would not have worked with the later card material.

I have one or two of the card type seaside Ferrotypes in my collection that are in CDV style mounts, one is supposed to be taken in Lowestoft. I also have a much older Victorian Tintype that is on a metal base that is housed in metal frame. The subject is a child on a donkey with a pier in the background. No idea where this is taken. I have assumed that it is from the wet collodion period but I am not an expert on these photographs.

I am interested in commercial seaside photography and I am researching walking photographs as well as beach photographs.

Paul.

Attachments:

Tony, sorry for late reply. These images are beautiful and you are very lucky to have found them (am very jealous!). The scans are very good as well and I may well be in touch in the future. I had a look around your site and your work and enthusiasm for wet-plate is inspiring. I am only just embarking down the black road but i hope i can be making work as good as you soon enough!

Tony Richards said:

Hi Gavin,

I was lucky enough to get these at auction recently, really pleased with them...

http://fourtoes.co.uk/iblog/?p=4906

Tony

Dear paul, sorry for late reply. Thanks for the image - I've been seeing alot of these card insert ones lately and they are interseting for the ubiquity and poor materials as well as how late they were produced. I will look for the "Magic Box" book as it sounds like it may hold some goood research info. I would be very interested in seing any more Seaside images you have partic this boy on a donkey. Thansk again for your input.

Gavin.

Paul Godfrey said:

Gavin,

A book published in the 1950s by Ernest Pendrigh called “The Magic Box” is a autobiography about an Australian who settles in the UK and earns a living taking Ferrotype photographs with an Aptus camera at various locations like Brighton and Southend. In the between wars period these photographers were using a card material rather than the metal based materials. Early Tintype smudgers carried a magnet on a chain so that they could get the photo out of the camera, this would not have worked with the later card material.

I have one or two of the card type seaside Ferrotypes in my collection that are in CDV style mounts, one is supposed to be taken in Lowestoft. I also have a much older Victorian Tintype that is on a metal base that is housed in metal frame. The subject is a child on a donkey with a pier in the background. No idea where this is taken. I have assumed that it is from the wet collodion period but I am not an expert on these photographs.

I am interested in commercial seaside photography and I am researching walking photographs as well as beach photographs.

Paul.

Thanks everyone for your continued input! Its all very interesting and is serving as great research material! KIeep it coming if you can. You can also email me at gavinmaitland80@hotmail.com

Ta!

Marcel, I have come accross this before and it is veryt informative. I now use it in my research. Thanks for going to so much trouble to write it.

Gavin.

Hi, I'm guessing this was taken at a seaside, either Australian (where it was bought) or most likely somewhere in the UK.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Michael Pritchard.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service