Shew Camera Company

would anyone know if the finders that came with the Shew folding strut cameras were supplied with the cameras when purchased or if they had to be ordered separately?

I have an argument going on my fb group on wood cameras that the finders are made of wood, where some think they are of metal...  and since www.earlyphotography.co.uk has wood finders and www.antiquewoodcameras.com has metal, im a bit confused..

I just got a shew eclipse, without a finder and was searching for one that would go with the camera...

darrin in texas

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i wonder if there is a way to track the camera via serial no... if theres a list out there somewhere...

• thanks for the info.

Rob Tooley said:

Hello,

Early adverts (1892) list the finder as a separate item, along with other options and fittings. In that period the finders were wooden reflecting types (ground glass) with hoods. Later adverts (1899 and 1901) include the finder, where it is mentioned, in a  package, camera, dark-slides, finder etc. At that time the finder is described as 'clear', presumably a brilliant type, these would have been conventional metal finders that were bought-in. The fitting of the Eclipse-period finder seems to be unique to Shew.

• Hello,

Early adverts (1892) list the finder as a separate item, along with other options and fittings. In that period the finders were wooden reflecting types (ground glass) with hoods. Later adverts (1899 and 1901) include the finder, where it is mentioned, in a  package, camera, dark-slides, finder etc. At that time the finder is described as 'clear', presumably a brilliant type, these would have been conventional metal finders that were bought-in. The fitting of the Eclipse-period finder seems to be unique to Shew.

This reply was deleted.