Tintern Abbey Photographs by Francis Bedford

Having moved and finally getting somewhat straight again, I am undertaking some research and looking for some very specific photographs to illustrate this. Amongst them are some photographs taken by Francis Bedford. These were taken in about 1859/60 and would probably be about 10" x 8". At the time they were praised in photographic exhibitions and this was reported in the press. Has anyone got any ideas if these specific photographs still exist and if so where I might get copies (digital files) from? I will also be looking for specific images from photographers like Thomas Annan (similar dates - of Loch Lomond) and others. They originate from specific lenses used when they were 'state-of-the-art' and I'm looking to link the use of new technology of its day with advances in imagery. Thanks, Paul

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks. We are in contact and Steven has been very helpful.

• You might check with Steven Evans of Toronto.  He might be a member here. He collects Bedford.

• Thanks. I'm looking for specific images and need the date on them. Its tricky! I'll go through the linked images though. Thanks, Paul

• The National Gallery of Art's department of Image Collections has images of Tintern Abbey by Bedford. See this link:

https://library.nga.gov/permalink/01NGA_INST/1p5jkvq/alma9911953138...

I will double check with my colleagues, but I believe our photos are smaller than what you describe.

This reply was deleted.