British photographic history

Information and discussion on all aspects of British photographic history

Hello everyone,

My first post regards a mystery -- at least to me.

I purchased this object for a few £'s at a charity shop in Christchurch, England, because: 1) it clearly seemed to have something to do with photography, and 2) I had no idea what that might be.

It's made by Johnsons of Hendon, a firm, I understand, that was for many decades a major supplier of photography-related chemicals and equipment. But beyond that easily obtainable fact (the nameplate is on the front of the drawer), I have been unable to find out anything else about what this might have been used for.

Can anyone help shed light on this?

Best wishes,

Arthur [Research Scientist (retired), Photographer (avocationally active),  and Digital Artist (aspiring)]

Views: 185

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's a negative retouching desk. I may be able to find a description in one of their catalogues. 

Thank you Michael.  Mystery solved -- came to the right place, obviously!

Googling "negative retouching desk",  it looks like this one might be missing the upper overhanging lid (?)

I would indeed be interested to see a description in their catalogue, if locatable.

lovely....  you brits have the good stuff...

cant find anything like that here in the states.

A couple of desks. Some later ones would electrically vibrate allowing the retoucher to use abrasion tools to scrape of part of the image. Not much in favor nowadays however.

Attachments:

Thanks Richard -- very interesting.

(Hmm, I wonder if Adobe can add a tool to Photoshop simulating electrical vibration?)

I think it is there now, a texture brush. I searched vibrator to see if there was anything that might be an add-on. Sort of, but not quite what I was looking for.

--Dick

Arthur Margolin said:

Thanks Richard -- very interesting.

(Hmm, I wonder if Adobe can add a tool to Photoshop simulating electrical vibration?)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Michael Pritchard.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service