Information and discussion on all aspects of British photographic history
Purpose of the Job: Delivers the work for the NMSI Collections Information team at the National Media Museum and National Railway Museum in accordance with policies, procedures, data standards and best practice
• creates and enhances the primary and authoritative collections record
• undertakes collections projects
1. Takes care of personal health and safety and that of others, reports and takes action to resolve any health and safety concerns
2. Undertakes Collections Management administration tasks adhering to procedures and data standards for Acquisition, Damage, Disposals, Inventory, Loans (including loans in, loans out, indemnities, insurance, security checks and historic loans), Location Audit, Location & Movement Control, Loss and Object Catalogue upgrade.
3. Creates and enhances an authoritative collections record to ensure that NMSI is accountable for its collections and collections information. Follows procedures to ensure NMSI fulfils legal responsibilities for Due Diligence and Immunity from Seizure. Assists with a programme of data cleaning and building up of authority files to optimise the usefulness of the MIMSY XG object database and iBase image database.
4. Supports and delivers creative offerings, such as web and exhibition projects, to increase access to the collections to achieve the aims of the Science, Media and Railway brands. Contributes to the delivery of NMSI business objectives in line with collections management best practice as outlined in the MLA Accreditation standard.
5. Works with objects to record object and condition data, particularly for projects that involve object movement such as exhibitions, loans (including couriering) and gallery decants. Ensures that information and object movements are properly documented and recorded in accordance with policy. Undertakes record photography. Facilitates object assessment so that the collections can be rationalised and utilised effectively.
6. Documents hazardous materials and objects to ensure that the museum manages them, operates safely and complies with Health & Safety legislation.
7. Provides help, advice and training for all database users that conforms to best practice and follows established procedures. Assists with the revision of procedures, policies and protocols and development of the database. Assists with object and documentation enquiries (internal and external) and the provision of statistical data.
8. Assists with the scoping of Volunteer projects. Supervises volunteers working on Documentation projects and monitors their work and outputs.
Working Relationships and Contacts
• NMSI Collections Information Manager for direction, guidance and support
• Head of Corporate & Collections Information (senior line manager) for direction, guidance and support
• NMSI Collections Information Officers in Corporate & Collections Information team (co-workers)
• NMSI Corporate Information & Enquiries Officer (files)
• Conservation and Collections Care, including Collections Hazards Officer (object handling, preventative care, hazards), Storage and Movement (Logistics) teams (object and manual handling)
• Science Museum Photo Studio & Imaging team (photographs; copyright and IPR)
• Curators/Curatorial Services (stakeholders)
• Exhibitions and Development teams (exhibitions/temporary exhibitions at all sites)
• Workshops (specialist assistance with objects at NRM and ScM)
• Donors, vendors, lenders and borrowers
• Arts Council England - Indemnity Manager and Security Officer
• Shipping Agents
• Volunteer Co-ordinator (recruitment of volunteers)
• Volunteers and interns (supervision whilst working on Documentation projects)
• Other Project Directors and Managers, as appropriate
Line Management and Budget Responsibility
Directly line manages: 0
Indirectly line manages: 0
Budget Holder of £ 0
• Experience in documenting collections including collections registration and object cataloguing
• Experience of handling museum objects
• Experience of using collections management procedures
• Experience of using a collections database, e.g. MIMSY XG
• Experience of using Authority files and thesauri
Skills, Knowledge and Relevant Qualifications
• Knowledge of the procedures for documenting museum collections including application of data standards
• Excellent written and oral communication and information sharing skills
• Ability to plan and schedule programmes of work and activities to ensure a timely delivery of the team’s work programme
• Ability to meet tight deadlines whilst maintaining agreed standards
• Ability to work to an excellent standard of accuracy, particularly when creating database records
• Good problem-solving skills
• Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills
• Pays meticulous attention to detail
• Ability to use judgement and make decisions within policy and precedent
• Supportive and collaborative team working style
• Ability to follow procedures and protocols consistently
• Actively explores ideas for improvement
• Takes pride in delivering work to a high standard
• Uses initiative
Scope for Impact
The National Museum of Science & Industry Collections Information team ensures and delivers best practice collections documentation and management activities, policies and procedures which support our ownership of the collections and underpin our status as a national museum; thereby enabling the Science Museum, The National Railway Museum and The National Media Museum to deliver the public offer. It ensures that each museum meets the MLA Accreditation Scheme requirements.
As a member of the NMSI Collections Information team the jobholder contributes to the delivery of core functions which underpin the programme of, acquisitions, loans in and out, exhibitions (real and virtual), gallery clearances, audits and efficient management of the collections. Failures in this area could jeopardise the achievement of major projects (including the Corporate Plan and Business Plan) and objectives and lead to regulatory lapses and potential legal and/or financial liability.
• This job description is not exhaustive and amendments and additions may be required in line with future changes in policy, regulation or organisational requirements, it will be reviewed on a regular basis.
• This role is subject to a Disclosure Scotland basic criminal record check
National Media Museum, Bradford
Collections Information Officer
21 hours per week Salary £16,605 pro rata
23 months fixed term contract
The Corporate & Collections Information team is seeking a committed and experienced individual to work with our collections while delivering the highest standards in collections registration and documentation practice.
You will be based at the National Media Museum and play a key role in developing and maintaining the primary record of the collections across NMSI’s family of museums.
You will have previous experience of working on a collections registration, documentation or inventory project, and object handling in a museum or gallery setting. You will have demonstrable knowledge of relevant standards and procedures.
You will work with objects to record object and ensure information, hazardous materials and object movements are properly documented and recorded.
You will be self-motivated, very organised and able to work under pressure while maintaining a thorough attention to detail. You will be an excellent team player and an effective communicator. You will have a high level of computer literacy and experience of using a collections management database, such as MIMSY XG, and Microsoft Office applications.
For further information about NMSI, details on how to apply and a full job description, please visit https://vacancies.nmsi.ac.uk
NMSI Job Description
Salary: £16,605 p.a.
Closing date: 19 March 2012
Interview date: 29 March 2012
To apply, please visit our recruitment websire https://vacancies.nmsi.ac.uk
Closing date is 19th March 2012 with interviews only being held on 29th March 2012.
Contact Name: Mrs Elizabeth Sloan van Wyk
Contact Tel: 01904686249
Contact Email: email@example.com
Address: National Media Museum, Pictureville, Bradford, BD1 1NQ.
Add a Comment