Information and discussion on all aspects of British photographic history
Robert Shanebrook writes...In 2010, I published a 94-page book Making Kodak Film. The book provided a high level view of the technology used to provide silver halide films. The positive response encouraged me to write a second edition with much more in-depth coverage of the subject. To gather information, I consulted over 100 photographic film experts. This resulted in a 470-page book that includes an additional 225 illustrations and over 600 footnoted references.
The first edition provided a great deal of information that had never been published. Nearly all of the additional information in the new book has never been published. Certainly never gathered together in a comprehensive explanation of film manufacturing.
The book includes:
1. History of film base manufacturing including American Film, cellulose nitrate, cellulose acetate, Estar Base and others.
2. Expanded discussion of historic and modern emulsion making processes and equipment.
3. History of coating technology and expanded discussion of curtain coating including photographs of an operating Kodak curtain coater and the thread-up path of Kodak’s Building 38 Film Coating Machine.
4. Expanded description and photographs of finished film configurations and the finishing processes. Of special interest is motion picture film finishing using high speed T-perforators.
5. Detailed descriptions of photographic film image forming mechanisms for black-and-white films, color negative films, Ektachrome Films, and Kodachrome Films.
6. Technical descriptions and history of Kodak Films that are used for consumer, professional, motion picture, x-ray, micrographic, graphic, aerial, and scientific applications.
7. Description of past and current Kodak Worldwide manufacturing plants, interactions between the plants, and technology transfers.
8. First-hand description of working in Kodak’s film business in the 1980’s.
9. Information based on private communications with over 100 photographic experts.
10. Addition of over 225 photographs and diagrams.
11. Identification of sources of information; over 600 footnoted references.
12. A table of figures and an index to facilitate finding information in the book.
The book is 470 pages, 8.5 x 11 inches and four-color printed on 80-pound gloss paper. It is gloss-film lamination hard-cover bound. Shipping weight is 5 pounds. It was printed and bound in Rochester, NY. USA
The price of the book will be $125 after December 31, 2016. Before then the price is $100. If requested books will be signed by the author.
Priority Mail Media Mail
USA with USPS shipping $73.45 $65.45
to New York address with sales tax: $79.33 $71.33
PayPal is makingKODAKfilm@yahoo.com
International Shipping: I charge what USPS charges for shipping. USPS flat rate shipping cost is about the same for 1, 2, or 3 books to many countries.
PayPal is makingKODAKfilm@yahoo.com All prices $US
1 book 2 books 3 books
Canada $143.35 $245.95 $345.95
United Kingdom $165.50 $266.50 $366.50
France $154.35 $266.50 $366.50
Germany $154.35 $266.50 $366.50
Italy/Switzerland $156.05 $266.50 $366.50
Australia $164.70 $275.95 $375.95
Others contact makingKODAKfilm@yahoo.com
Add a Comment