The London branch of the firm A Marion, Son & Co was
advertising its collection of celebrity cartes-de-visite (amongst
other things) in the pages of the Daily Southern Cross (NZ) in 1865,
“catalogues sent on application". Does anyone out there know where to find/consult a copy of one of these catalogues? No luck at the Nat Media Museum or in Brit Lib

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Ken. Much appreciated. Always surprising how rare some of these ephemeral things are. I will get to the V and A library (and be persistent). Best, Michael

Ken Jacobson said:
    Michael,

Hi. I believe what you are looking for is in the V & A Library- Marion, Son & Co. A Catalogue of Photographs, 1867. Sometimes, their photograph catalogues get lost or misplaced so persist if they cannot find it straight away. I have not seen it for some years but it includes photographs by 'art' photographers like Rejlander and Robinson but I think also a long list of photos of celebrities.

Best,

Ken
  • Michael,

Hi. I believe what you are looking for is in the V & A Library- Marion, Son & Co. A Catalogue of Photographs, 1867. Sometimes, their photograph catalogues get lost or misplaced so persist if they cannot find it straight away. I have not seen it for some years but it includes photographs by 'art' photographers like Rejlander and Robinson but I think also a long list of photos of celebrities.

Best,

Ken
  • Thanks. I will consult the Lacy catalogue when next in London. And the Smith, Beck and Beck? Available to look at? Reason for original query is I am trying to establish whether any cdvs of Maori people were distributed/sold through/by London agents

Michael Pritchard said:
    I have done a lot of what on photographic trade catalogues and I have never seen one of Marion's for cdvs.

The closest I have found is this which is in the Heinz Archive at the National Portrait Gallery and may be useful to you:

Alphabetical list of full length and other album carte de visite dramatic portraits photographed from life by Messrs Bassano, Clarkington, Heath and Beau [et al.] on sale by Thomas Hailes Lacy, 89 Str ...
    Alphabetical list of full length and other album carte de visite dramatic portraits photographed from life by Messrs Bassano, Clarkington, Heath and Beau [et al.] on sale by Thomas Hailes Lacy, 89 Strand, London
    Publisher: [London : T.H. Lacy, n.d.]

I do know of an 1866 Smith, Beck and Beck catalogue which includes an extensive list of cartes de visite that they were selling.

Michael Pritchard
  • I have done a lot of what on photographic trade catalogues and I have never seen one of Marion's for cdvs.

The closest I have found is this which is in the Heinz Archive at the National Portrait Gallery and may be useful to you:

Alphabetical list of full length and other album carte de visite dramatic portraits photographed from life by Messrs Bassano, Clarkington, Heath and Beau [et al.] on sale by Thomas Hailes Lacy, 89 Str ...
    Alphabetical list of full length and other album carte de visite dramatic portraits photographed from life by Messrs Bassano, Clarkington, Heath and Beau [et al.] on sale by Thomas Hailes Lacy, 89 Strand, London
    Publisher: [London : T.H. Lacy, n.d.]

I do know of an 1866 Smith, Beck and Beck catalogue which includes an extensive list of cartes de visite that they were selling.

Michael Pritchard
This reply was deleted.