I have inherited a number of my great grandfather's photographic plates, his name was Henry Sutton and in 1887 he invented a halftone process, the photographic plates are the only remaining examples of Henry's process and are historically important. Henry Sutton also invented a colour photographic process in the 1890s and I have one of his colour glass plates which I would like to process and also preserve. Henry's halftone and colour processes are as far as I know Australia's first halftone and colour processes invented by an Australian so it is imperative that I preserve them. I also have a number of Henry's stereoscopic photographs that he took in England in the early 1890s and some stereoscopic photographs Henry took in 1901 during Australia's celebrations of Federation which are also historically important and would like to know how to prevent any further deterioration of the images.  I would like any information members can give me on how to print and preserve the colour glass plate as I have read that scanning it to make a copy might damage the image.

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Help found at the Australian National Archives in Melbourne regarding preservation of photographic plates 

• Hi Lorayne, I am a photographic historian based in Brisbane and I am researching Australian photographers. Please feel free to get in touch. Cheers! Marcel (msafier@ozemail.com.au)

This reply was deleted.