Photographic apprenticeships

Hello all

Despite having researched the lives of many hundreds of 19th century photographers active in Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain I have never come across references to anyone undertaking a formal
apprenticeship. That is, until now. Mention is made in his diary of Arthur Debenham undertaking a four year apprenticeship from 1859 at the London School of Photography. Can anyone help shed further light on the subject of apprenticeships in photography during the 19th century?

Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Brett, I have already done that search and when you consider there are over 4700 people listed as photographers and probably others listed under other occupational descriptions such as artist the relative numbers of apprentices are quite small. There are over 700 photographers's assistants. Cheers! Marcel
  • Hi Marcel,

The 1881 UK Census lists at least 143 apprentice photographers.  That doesn't necessarily mean they were serving a formal apprenticeship, of course, as I think the term apprentice was often used fairly loosely, in census records at least.

Regards, Brett

This reply was deleted.