British photographic history

Information and discussion on all aspects of British photographic history

Where to go and what to see of British photographic history

Hello all,

I'm a new member. My name is Kathleen McLaughlin and I've been teaching photography for over 20 years. I teach in the darkroom, as well as the history of photography.

I'll be visiting England soon and am looking for suggestions on what to see regarding mid-Victorian British Photography.

I'll be in Oxford, London, and Isle of Wight. 

Here is what I'll be seeing: 

Oxford - Charles Dodgson's camera equipment at History of Science Museum, as well as some of his photographs at Christ Church

London - photographs + camera equipment at V&A and NPG's Heinz Library

Isle of Wight - Dimbola, home/museum of Julia Margaret Cameron.

And, I just learned of PHOTOGRAPHICA 2022 on 22 May in London. I plan to be there.

I'm hoping to see anything that is related to mid-Victorian British photography - I even want to see the inside of Stationer's Hall (where they went to get their photographs and other things registered). It's not open but I hope to find a way to get a small peek inside. 

What am I missing? Please, I'm open to suggestions. 

thank you,
Kathleen from 'just outside' Los Angeles, CA

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should contact Birmingham Central Library regarding the research of the late Peter James, FRPS. He was one of the leading researchers in early Victorian photography. They also possess one of the very few known examples of a Wolcott & Johnson speculum camera of the sort used in the Richard Beard studio franchise. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2022   Created by Michael Pritchard.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service