British photographic history

Information and discussion on all aspects of British photographic history

Can anyone identify this photographic tool?

Can anyone help identify the 'photographic tool' (no. 103) shown below?

Views: 567

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of British photographic history to add comments!

Join British photographic history

Comment by Saya Honda Miles on February 7, 2013 at 17:18
Hello Alice,

I'm sorry if you have already found the right answer, but I've just found quite a similar equipment in the Print Meters page of this website below.
Please take a look!

Best wishes,
Comment by Simon Robinson on February 4, 2013 at 9:01

I did use a wooden frame like this in my darkroom days to contact 120 film frames. It turned up in a box of bits from my grandfather. I hadn't realised (though I should have) it might be so old. It'll still be around somewhere though it's a while since I did any wet photography...

We also still have a homemade enlarger which my father built out of old paint tins somewhere in the 50s! Make do and mend eh?

Comment by Alex Tymków MA ARPS on January 20, 2013 at 11:53

Hi Alice,

These were called Actinometers, for making test strips. They were used for 'sun printing' or in the darkroom.

Comment by Alice Gordenker on January 20, 2013 at 10:22

Thank you for the input. I will look into the Paterson lead you've provided. I'm new here, and failed to get the explanation I wanted in the original post, which is this:

This belonged to a 19th c. Japanese photographer named Yasu Kohei (1846-1917). We don't know the purpose, but are guessing it was some sort of graduated exposure box. It's going into an exhibition in March and I have to figure out how to describe it in English.

Comment by Patrick Lovering on January 20, 2013 at 9:55

I remember the Paterson one with the flaps. if the numbers are printed on the glass I would think its something similar. As Colin said pop a piece of paper in then reveal as per seconds on glass.  Patrick

Comment by Colin Dixon on January 20, 2013 at 9:47

Hi Alice,

It's difficult to see from the photograph but could it be a form of test strip printer in a box? Maybe each segment could be flipped up and the strip of paper underneath then builds up a series of exposures. I think Paterson made something similar to this concept.


Best wishes

Colin Dixon

© 2022   Created by Michael Pritchard.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service