British photographic history

Information and discussion on all aspects of British photographic history

I am writing a PhD dissertation on Antoine Claudet at the City University of New York (with advisor Geoffrey Batchen). I have visited several public and private collections in the States and the UK but if anyone has suggestions as to new places to look for Claudets I would appreciate it.

Views: 2896

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

there are portraits of two Waikato chiefs (Maori) in London in 1860 in the British Museum collection (Oc-B9.2) said to be by AC

You probably have already done this.... but I am going through the Illustrated London News for 1851.... what strikes me is that could could create a useful list of who Claudet photographed from the wood engravings after his Daguerreotypes in this newspaper....

Regards

Anthony Hamber

London

You probably have already done this.... but I am going through the Illustrated London News for 1851.... what strikes me is that could could create a useful list of who Claudet photographed from the wood engravings after his Daguerreotypes in this newspaper....

Regards

Anthony Hamber

London

Michael Pritchard said:

Hi Michael!

So nice to hear from you. How are you? Thank you for posting this - I had heard about this sale, impressive. I hope we can catch up soon?

Karen

Dear Michael,

Thank you very much for contacting me about these. I looked at these two photographs on one of my visits to London and was very intrigued by them. Is there any other background information on them that you might have come across?

Thanks again!

Karen

michael graham-stewart said:

there are portraits of two Waikato chiefs (Maori) in London in 1860 in the British Museum collection (Oc-B9.2) said to be by AC

Hi Jessica,

Thank you so much for contacting me! - I will email you at your geh email with questions.

Karen

Jessica Johnston said:

We actually have only approx. 17 stereo daguerreotypes and approx. 30 other Claudet related objects.  Sorry for the error.

Jessica

Dear Anthony,

You are right - this is a very good idea. I completed the dissertation last fall but will be continuing to work on it so this post comes at a good time. Please keep me in mind if you come across any Claudet-related insights in the 1851 ILN that I might not have seen! And if there is anything I can help you with I'd be happy to try.

Many thanks,

Karen

Anthony Hamber said:

Regards

Anthony Hamber

London

Hi Karen

I know this is rather late and you have finished your dissertation, but I've just made a chance discovery that may be of interest.  Photographic history is just a hobby for me, and by day I do web development work for the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.  At Kew we have very small holdings of historic images, but I have just found out that our two prize possessions - early daguerreotypes of the construction of the Palm House - are attributed to Claudet.  Additionally, they are dated to 24 July 1847 (though I'd have to check what the source is for this).  My recollection is that they are uncased, full-plate. 

One is of the exterior, one interior.  The interior one show two relatively indistinct top-hatted gentleman.  The speculation is that they could be two from the following: William Hooker, Joseph Hooker, Decimus Burton, Richard Turner.

I'll see if I can get permission to post versions here. If you or anyone else wishes to arrange to see them I can facilitate this.

Regards, James

Karen, did you ever appeal to the Daguerreian Society community, thru their newsletter (mention or ad)? There are members who are active collectors of Claudet, names escape me who I sold mine to.

Karen, here's a pair of nice Claudet stereos on our website: Claudet Stereos .

I used to own a small group of salt prints (appeared to have been made from collodion glass plates rather then paper and had a black tone so probably a developed-out print as well) that were made by Claudet of his family.  I bought them at the Toronto flea market many years ago and no longer have any of them unfortunately.

Dear James,

Thank you for writing! I would be very interested to see images of these two daguerreotypes by Claudet and any other information about them if possible. Would you let me know if you can get the permission to post images of them? I really appreciate it,

Best wishes,

Karen

James Morley said:

Hi Karen

I know this is rather late and you have finished your dissertation, but I've just made a chance discovery that may be of interest.  Photographic history is just a hobby for me, and by day I do web development work for the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.  At Kew we have very small holdings of historic images, but I have just found out that our two prize possessions - early daguerreotypes of the construction of the Palm House - are attributed to Claudet.  Additionally, they are dated to 24 July 1847 (though I'd have to check what the source is for this).  My recollection is that they are uncased, full-plate. 

One is of the exterior, one interior.  The interior one show two relatively indistinct top-hatted gentleman.  The speculation is that they could be two from the following: William Hooker, Joseph Hooker, Decimus Burton, Richard Turner.

I'll see if I can get permission to post versions here. If you or anyone else wishes to arrange to see them I can facilitate this.

Regards, James

Dear Alex,

These are beautiful - thank you for letting me know about them!

Best regards,

Karen

Alex Novak said:

Karen, here's a pair of nice Claudet stereos on our website: Claudet Stereos .

I used to own a small group of salt prints (appeared to have been made from collodion glass plates rather then paper and had a black tone so probably a developed-out print as well) that were made by Claudet of his family.  I bought them at the Toronto flea market many years ago and no longer have any of them unfortunately.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Michael Pritchard.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service