Hello,

I am currently restoring this fantastic tailboard camera, previously held by a museum. as technical minded as I am I have little information to aid me on this camera, due to lack of publication on the use and operation of this camera.

Does anyone out there know where I could find any user guides to this camera?

Regards

Gareth

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you Rob,

This is a great resources for my studies and sheds some light on Lancaster's use of publications. Perhaps like in its name I should seek out a copy of the patent for this camera.

Gareth

Rob Niederman said:

In my library, I found a publication by W.J. Lancaster, F.C.S. - "How to be a "Successful Amateur Photographer" - no date. It has an illustrated listing for The "International Camera". Hopefully this helps.

Regards.

Rob

www.antiquewoodcameras.com

• Thank you very much Gordon,

This is encouraging and will email you regarding your process.

Gordon Christie said:

Hi Gareth,

it doesn’t look too different to the Lancaster Instantograph, one of which I restored from a wreck - broken wood/bellows of dust - a few years back. I’ve never seen a user guide for Lancaster cameras but I do know how they work in some detail (many people will). I have a complete file of pictures showing the dismantling, cleaning, restoration and reassembly of the Instantograph. I will happily answer any questions you may have on anything to do with your restoration (if I can!) and you are welcome to view my photos too. 

I have also restored a Gundlach Manhattan Criterion View 1/2 plate and a Century Grand “hand and stand” back to working condition, the former was used for wet plate by its new owner at least until recently.

Send me a private email if you like gajchris@gmail.com

Regards from (locked down) Scotland,

Gordon

• In my library, I found a publication by W.J. Lancaster, F.C.S. - "How to be a "Successful Amateur Photographer" - no date. It has an illustrated listing for The "International Camera". Hopefully this helps.

Regards.

Rob

Lancaster International Reference.jpg

• I've been collecting a long time and have never seen user guides for these older field view cameras. However, all view cameras pretty much operate the same regardless of age. FWIW, I've shot everything from subminiature to 11 x 14 inch large format.

Regards.

Rob

• Hi Gareth,

it doesn’t look too different to the Lancaster Instantograph, one of which I restored from a wreck - broken wood/bellows of dust - a few years back. I’ve never seen a user guide for Lancaster cameras but I do know how they work in some detail (many people will). I have a complete file of pictures showing the dismantling, cleaning, restoration and reassembly of the Instantograph. I will happily answer any questions you may have on anything to do with your restoration (if I can!) and you are welcome to view my photos too. 

I have also restored a Gundlach Manhattan Criterion View 1/2 plate and a Century Grand “hand and stand” back to working condition, the former was used for wet plate by its new owner at least until recently.

Send me a private email if you like gajchris@gmail.com

Regards from (locked down) Scotland,

Gordon

This reply was deleted.