Hello Everyone, 

I'm cataloging a series of portraits by Maull & Polyblank (active 1854—1865) and am encountering difficulty in identifying the individual featured in the photograph below. 

The inscription suggests the name "J. Gourley," yet I've been unable to locate any records confirming their identity. Does anyone here recognize this individual? 

Thank you in advance for your assistance. 
-Jordan 

12395785460?profile=RESIZE_710x

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Jordan

Can I ask if there is anything else written on the photo or on the back? Also you said you are archiving so can I ask is this in the UK or in USA? And one last thing is there any other photos of similar/time and age that have names linked to them as this may help identifiy this one. Just a quick geneology search and there are possible a few candidates but I dont want to send you down a rabbit hole. Look forwar to hearing from you Geraldine

• I'm sorry I can't help with your portrait. You might be able to help with mine though. The portrait attached is Maull & Polyblank, by Maull, pre-1865 given address on mount. It is of David Ogilvy (I believe, although the inscription is A. Ogilvy), dated 27.6 but year torn from label. Ogilvy was a director of the Great Western Railway and Crystal Palace at Sydenham, a friend of Sir David Brewster and the Brownings. 'Literary and Scientific Portrait Club is interesting. I'm trying to track Ogilvy's connections, especially with Edinburgh photographic scene (Mark Napier was his brother-in-law) or Crystal Palace. If you have any M&P catalogues I would be interested in names.

12434042076?profile=RESIZE_930x

• Hi Geraldine, 

Thanks for your response. I am cataloging in the US.

Mount verso inscription: John Gourley

There are a number of similar photographs by Maull & Polyblank featuring members of the 'Literary and Scientific Portrait Club' from 1855. The pair were active between 1854 and 1865. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. I look forward to your thoughts. 

-Jordan

This reply was deleted.