British photographic history

Information and discussion on all aspects of British photographic history

This year marks the centenary of the death of a prolific and prestigious photographer, Alexander Bassano. I have been conducting biographical research on him and I am particularly interested in his carte de visite output.

I wonder if anyone has come across a cased image bearing the studio imprint of Bassano or his partnership with John Eastham? Bassano appears to have first dabbled in professional photography in 1851 then returned to it in 1859, taking up premises at 122 Regent St, London that had been occupied by William Rawles and before him Nicolaas/Nicholas Henneman.

I would be happy to hear from anyone also interested in Bassano especially if they are doing or have done any research on him.

Cheers!

Marcel, Brisbane, Australia

Views: 386

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Marcel,

I've recently been approaching the Eastham & Bassano partnership from the opposite direction, working up biographies on the three Eastham brothers - John, Silas and Enos. I've only a few references to the partnership, but quite a nice one re Alexander's artistic ability in a known work which you might not have come across. I've no images from the partnership, but If you contact me directly ( rw@f2s.com  will find me) I'll let you have what I know.

Equally I'd be interested to hear from anyone else with information on, or knowledge of biographies of, any of the Eastham brothers, or who can point me in the right direction.

Regards

Rob

I understand that there is a related article in the BJP:

‘Portraits of Roger Fenton, by J. Eastham, Manchester‘, BJP, 17 March 1865, vol.12, pp.143

I've not seen it, but obviously would like to if someone has it or can suggest how to access it.

Regards

Rob

RSS

© 2019   Created by Michael Pritchard.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service