William Henry De Lan & Daughters

I wonder if anyone has come across William Henry De Lan (1844-1905)? He began his career in Bradford and then took to the road with a touring studio heading north. Eventually he ended up in Berwick-upon-Tweed around 1900, where he finally settled down with a bricks and mortar studio a year before his death. His three daughters, who all worked in the touring family buisness, continued the studio until around 1920. 

I recenlty wrote this blog post about the family but would love to fill in some of the gaps. 

https://photocollection.substack.com/p/the-mysterious-mr-de-lan-and-daughters

Perhaps a bit of along shot but throught it was worth an ask!

Many thanks, Cameron.   

You need to be a member of British Photographic History to add comments!

Join British Photographic History

Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  Hi Cameron

I have a few photos from the studio but cant offer much more information. I will see if I can find out anything from the local Bradford directories but I suspect he wont appear. The fact that there is no address on his cards could mean that in the early days he was operating from a caravan. there were some in Bradford.

Steve L12296141863?profile=RESIZE_930x12296141898?profile=RESIZE_930x

• Thanks for those Steve. I would certainly agree that the examples where no place name is listed have been taken whilst he was on the road. I tried Bradford Archives and they couldn't really shed any light on him. Best, Cam. 

This reply was deleted.