Information and discussion on all aspects of British photographic history
A photo exhibition depicting Victorian life including rare images of Custs path, the predecessor to the Marine Drive, Llandudno's first pier which was badly damaged in the great storm of 1859, North Shore pre-Grand hotel, and many more has been organised by the Llandudno and Colwyn Bay History Society.
Entitled "Victorian Photographs and Souvenirs of Llandudno”, it includes images by Thomas Edge (1829-1900) who settled in the town after being employed by the London Stereoscopic Company to picture parts of Britain. There is also a photo taken in 1860 of William Lot (1841-1919), one of Llandudno’s first postmen, who erected a periscope on a hill above the Happy Valley. He entertained paying guests in his "magic" shed with living panoramas of the town and bay below. A moving image of Llandudno life was cast on to a circular screen in the building via a lens and mirror mounted on the roof.
Details of the exhibition can be found here.
Photo: The Mostyn family were the main landowners and chief architects behind the resort's development and also feature in the exhibition created from a collection by John Lawson-Reay, vice chair of Llandudno and Colwyn Bay History Society.
Add a Comment