Information and discussion on all aspects of British photographic history
Centro de la Imagen is pleased to announce the call for speakers for the II Meeting of Photographic Archives “Photographic Assets: A heritage at risk”, that will be held from May 25th to 27th in Lima, Peru.
On 26th and 27th of April 2016, the First Meeting of Photographic Archives of Lima took place thanks to the collaboration between public and private institutions such as Centro de la Imagen, MALI and the National Library of Peru (BNP) as venue of the event.
With a total of 18 national and international speakers, we managed to have an attendance of about 480 people and address relevant subjects to promote a better approach to the management of photographic heritage in the areas of conservation, dissemination, research, cataloging, digitization and legal framework.
In this occasion, the Meeting will comprise two days of conferences (May 25-26) and one day of workshops with international specialists (May 27). The topic of this meeting will be around the vulnerability in which much of the photographic heritage is currently found and the urgency to apply preventive conservation measures to promote its long term permanence.
It is intended to address this concern by analyzing and knowing the risks of stability of the material of the photographs. Experiences of the past will also be shared to describe losses, mutilations, falsifications, dismemberment of collections, etc. The dangers to which the photographs are currently exposed will be analyzed and identified such as the geographic and environmental conditions, natural disasters and dangers generated by humans. Emphasis will be placed on the importance of preparing recovery plans in emergency situations specially designed for photographic materials.
The key topics are:
- Cases that describe losses, mutilations, falsifications dismemberment of collections, looting, negligence, etc.
- Analysis and identification of dangers to which the photographs are currently exposed, such as the geographic and environmental conditions of the country, natural disasters and dangers generated by humans.
- Preparation of recovery plans in emergency situations specially designed for photographic material.
- Knowledge and analysis of the stability risks of the photographic material.
- Projects of recovery, valorization, conservation, dissemination and access of photographic archives at risk.
- Policies for the defense of photographic heritage.
- Fundraising for the recovery and dissemination of archives.
- Educational projects to improve good practices in archives, libraries, collections and museums.
- Importance of photography as a historical and aesthetic document.
The Meeting will have the aim of promoting the reduction of the risks that threaten the permanence of the photographic heritage from a perspective not only of the conservation of photographic material but also of the awareness of the value of their images and the need to implement educational and fund raising projects.
Find our more here: https://centrodelaimagen.edu.pe/blog/ii-encuentro-de-archivos-fotog...
Add a Comment