The National Media Museums holds extensive and internationally significant library and archive collections on the history of photography, film and television. We are looking for an experienced library and archive professional to create and implement a plan to catalogue and enable access to these collections. Working within the museum’s collections team, and with archivists and librarians from across the Science Museum Group, the post-holder will have the scope to make a major impact on the museum and public access to its collections.
Purpose of the Job
Lead a project to establish the necessary systems for the professional management of archive and library collections at the museum, and a sustainable operational model for their access by researchers and the public.
Manage, develop and make accessible, in line with professional standards, the internationally significant library and archive collections of the National Media Museum, and managing the Archives and Library team, including the operation of the Insight research facility.
- Lead the implementation of professional archive and library management systems at the Museum to provide improved access to all library and archive collections
- Instigate and prioritise cataloguing projects to ensure the collections are effectively managed and made accessible to staff and the public.
- Develop and implement a sustainable model for access to the museum’s collections through the Insight research centre.
- Help foster object based knowledge and research of the highest calibre to further expertise within the fields covered by the Museum’s collection.
- Maintain a strong research profile and help advise stakeholders and enquirers, both internal and external, on archival and library collections and associated research.
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of the subjects represented in the museum’s collections in order to be able to contextualise changes in practice and interpretation in accordance with our collection
- Ensure the collections in the post holder’s care are developed, catalogued/documented, appropriately managed, made accessible and displayed in a way that is consistent with the museum’s priorities, policies and cultural programme
- Promote a culture of high performance. Ensure that all direct reports have SMART objectives set and where appropriate, career development plans in place. Act swiftly and appropriately to deal with underperformance
- Budget Management. Using appropriate delegation, effectively manage or oversee staff to administer budgets with an acceptable level of professionalism and in accordance with good management practices and in particular SMG policy and procedure, handling operational budgets
- Responsible for strategic management of Insight
- Develop content for the museum’s outputs relating to the library and archive collections
- Represent the museum on external specialist groups
- Represent the museum on relevant SMG committees (e.g. Library and Archives group)
- Take care of your personal health and safety and that of others and report any health and safety concerns. Ensure proactive compliance with Science Museum Group H&S Policies, including risk assessments and implementing safe systems of work
Working Relationships and Contacts
- Head of Collections and Exhibitions – line manager
- Professional archive and library colleagues across SMG – peer support and sharing best practice
- Collections Team at Bradford – knowledge of the collections
- Collections and Corporate Information Team (CCI) across SMG – good practice in documentation
- Collections Care and Conservation Team (CCC) across SMG – good practice in collections care and conservation
- Volunteer coordinator – management of volunteers
- Senior Exhibitions Manager – use of archive and library collections in exhibition and display
- Other museums, universities, archive institutions, libraries, cultural institutions, specialist societies and professional bodies
Please note this is a fixed term contract for 2 years.
Closing date: 28 March
Interviews: w/c 18 April
See more and apply here: https://vacancies.nmsi.ac.uk/VacancyDetails.aspx?FromSearch=True&am...