Information and discussion on all aspects of British photographic history
According to the Yorkshire Film Archive, the magic lantern manufacturer, Riley Brothers, operated out of 55 & 57 Godwin Street, Bradford. They produced a machine called the Kineoptoscope in 1896 using a design patented by Cecil Wray. This was advertised at the time in The Era as, 'Steady as Lumière's. No breakdowns. Most portable and the most perfect known'. This was modified into the Kineoptoscope camera in June 1897, and it may be this which is being used in this film. The Riley Brothers put on the first cinema performance in Bradford at the People’s Palace on 6th April 1896, now the site of the National Media Museum.
Hundred of images of old Ireland and the globe-trotting adventures of affluent West Cork Methodists are among the subjects in an extraordinary collection of 19th century photography recently discovered in a house clearance. This also includes an important late 19th century magic lantern made by The Riley Bros of Bradford.
With an estimate of €1,500-€2,500, details of tomorrow's auction in Cork can be found here.
Add a Comment