Information and discussion on all aspects of British photographic history
The project to restore the University of Westminster's cinema to its former glory continues and the opening is scheduled for the early summer. Shira Macleod, formerly of the Riverside Studios has been appointed as Director.
The site is where the UK's first photographic studio was opened by Richard Beard in March 1841 at the Polytechnic Institution, where the Lumière brothers held the first public screening of film using their new Cinématographe in February 1896 and, later, on the Polytechnic of Central London was an important institution for photographic education.
There are still opportunities to support the project including the naming of seats.
The photographs here show the building work in progress.
See more here: http://www.birthplaceofcinema.com/
Add a Comment