British photographic history

Information and discussion on all aspects of British photographic history

Found this in a junk shop years ago and it almost began to disappear before my eyes, so I swiftly put it in a dark envelope where it has languished ever since. The paper has a more silver appearance than anything else I have seen. Any suggestions as to the process or date?

Views: 129

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of British photographic history to add comments!

Join British photographic history

Comment by hugh tifft on December 10, 2013 at 13:44


I agree I wound not fool around with it.
Not sure about it's history, a pretty long time, it used to be used as a proofing system so when you went to pick up your pictures from the camera shop or drug store they would use "POP" so that you would be forced to pick images for enlargement as the proof would disappear in time. They also used cyanotype for the same thing. I actually have cyanotype proofs of my dad when he was 3-4 years old. That was back in the mid 1930's!

Comment by Jonathan Ross on December 10, 2013 at 11:59

I think I will leave well alone but appreciate  your comments. Do you know when printing out paper was first introduced?


Comment by hugh tifft on December 9, 2013 at 19:20


just as a side thought.

It may still be  possible to fix and tone that image. It will alter the color, but it will fix the image so that you can actually view it in room light. I would suggest that you photograph it before you do anything to it. just in case.

Yes, I realize this idea is way down the road. And you lay not want to risk it. I used to work with that material so I have some idea about using it. Any processing of the paper will eliminate the beautiful dark maroon/burgundy color that exposing the paper can produce.  I actually have a couple of prints I made 30 years ago still in dark storage as you do.  cheers,


Comment by Jonathan Ross on December 9, 2013 at 17:05

Thanks, Hugh. I will look into that.



Comment by hugh tifft on December 9, 2013 at 14:08

Has anyone suggested this is studio proof paper?

also called printing out paper?



© 2023   Created by Michael Pritchard.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service