Information and discussion on all aspects of British photographic history
The National Media Museum is seeking a skilled and enthusiastic Conservator of Photographs to provide high quality interventive conservation. The post holder will be based at the National Media Museum in Bradford and will support our busy exhibition programme.
Your recognised conservation qualification or similar experience will be supported by demonstrable skills in interventive and preventive museum conservation on a wide range of photographic materials, with an understanding of conservation and collections care for 3-d mixed media objects; including condition checking and documentation .
You will be able to supervise volunteers and conservation interns and provide advice and support to colleagues working within the Curatorial, Corporate & Collections Information (Registration & Documentation) and Exhibitions teams. The role will also participate in the safe management of hazards within the collections, complying with current H&S regulations and in-house policies and safe working practices.
You will have excellent interpersonal skills and be confident communicating with a wide range of people. You will have demonstrable skills in problem solving and prioritising, which will be supported by your previous experience within a museum or cultural heritage environment.
You will be able to demonstrate the ability to plan and execute your own work programmes, provide statistics and promote high conservation and collections care standards with the ability to use Collections databases (eg: Mimsy XG) and practical expertise in object handling.
CP/NMEM/NOV 12 - Conservator of Photographs
Click here for more or to apply
When you apply you will be asked to upload one document in Microsoft Word format which includes both your CV and a covering statement. In your covering statement please state why you feel you are suitable for this role? Please focus on the experience you consider to be most relevant to this role.
To preserve the photographic and film collections in the care of the National Media Museum using best professional practice to meet strategic and statutory requirements within the budget constraints of the organisation.
To undertake all aspects of interventive conservation on a wide range of photographic materials, including condition checking and documentation. Responsible for all aspects of preventive conservation work for all collections held by NMeM. To advise upon and ensure that deterioration throughout the collections is minimised through the relevant preventive conservation methods.
Ensuring that these tasks are carried out in a safe and secure manner to comply with current legislation and following best professional practice.
1. To plan and execute a work programme of conservation of inventoried photographs in the collections based on conservation requests, projects, loan outs and renewals, acquisition requests, on time and to budget, complying with best professional practice and statutory requirements.
2. To manage, maintain and improve systems for preventive conservation at NMeM, including environmental monitoring and control, integrated pest management, condition surveys, storage surveys. Analyse the results and write an annual environmental report. Compile reports to advice on long term priorities and strategies highlighted from preventive work. Working together with conservators across the group to deliver annual KPI reports and to achieve best results.
3. To develop and deliver collections care training to other SMG staff and volunteers in object handling and the fundamentals of preventive conservation; and other training as identified with line manager.
4. To advise line manager and other appropriate colleagues (eg curatorial/registration) on conservation issues connected with photographic material under treatment to ensure that projects are completed on time and to professional standards. To advise line manager and other appropriate colleagues on conservation issues with all other collection materials that require specific specialist conservation.
5. Prepare condition and treatment reports (with annotated images) for photographic material and other collection objects conserved and input this information into MIMSY XG database following CCI and Science Museum conservation documentation guidelines. Prepare condition and display/storage recommendation reports for loans and new acquisitions.
6. To participate in safe management and awareness of hazards within the collections; complying with current H&S regulations, in-house policies and safe working practices in the Conservation lab, galleries and object stores.
7. To maintain and develop professional knowledge and expertise in conservation and collection care related to the NMeM's collections.
8. To plan and prioritise work programmes for students, mentoring and monitoring quality of output, and developing practical knowledge and skills to ensure that best practice is passed on to future staff.
9. To undertake the general administration of the Conservation lab, to ensure that this is done in an environmentally sound and economical manner.
10. To participate in public events where appropriate to raise awareness and provide public insight into work of Conservation and Collections Care.
11. Manage external specialists and contracts for specific conservation projects outside the expertise of the post holder, eg remedial object conservation. This could include conservation colleagues in other Group museums.
12. Support colleagues with emergency planning and salvage with particular input regarding the Collections
13. Under supervision to undertake basic conservation research projects on specific areas of the collections or types of objects to extend knowledge of the whole team.
14. Take care of your personal health and safety and that of others and report any health and safety concerns. Ensure proactive compliance with SMG H&S Policies, including risk assessments and implementing safe systems of work.
Working Relationships and Contacts
Line Management and Budget Responsibility
Skills, Knowledge and Relevant Qualifications
o Good team worker who demonstrates and encourages positive approaches, seeks to resolve issues and conflicts, focuses on win-win outcomes, actively champions the team; motivates others and enthusiastically shares knowledge & expertise.
o Actively seeks information, prioritises and uses time efficiently, thinks several steps ahead, seeks tasks, responsibilities & challenges, spots & rectifies errors, works smartly, builds in contingencies, self-starts, anticipates issues, proactively identifies areas for cost efficiency, actively seeks and responds to feedback, multi-tasks effectively,
o Reacts positively to change and uncertainty, prevents problem re-occurrence, continually seeks improvement, thinks ‘outside the box’, seizes opportunities to be creative, develops processes, systems & solutions; Networks extensively; Explores root cause of problem
o Proactively helps, understands customers and acts to meet their needs, enthuses about the product or service or working collaboratively with non specialist audiences in developing cultural offers, goes the extra mile, answers all questions & provides additional information
Scope for Impact
Add a Comment